If you’re anything like me, you’re probably sick of your dated bedroom and have been dreaming of a new look for what seems like forever. But the truth is, many of us don’t have the cash lying around to hire a professional decorator to help us give our bedroom a makeover. And even those of us who do have the bucks to pay someone else to do the work may not have the time to shop for new furniture and accessories.
Given the tight economy, more and more people are looking for ways to save money. Often, this means making sacrifices in the bedroom, which is the last place we’d like to cut corners. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to save money while still bringing the style.
With that in mind, I’m going to share some tips on how you can completely restyle your room without spending a fortune:
- Decide what kind of room you want. Do you want a calm and relaxing room or a fun and exciting room? If you want a calm and relaxing room, put in a bed, a nice nightstand, a mirror, and a dresser. If you want a fun and exciting room, put in a bed, a nice nightstand, a TV, and others
- Start by painting your walls. A fresh coat of paint can go a long way in adding a new look to your room. Painting your walls can be a time-consuming and costly project, but it’s a project that can be completed over several days, and it’s an investment that you’ll be happy you made. The most important thing is to decide whether you want to paint the walls a solid color or use a patterned design.
- Change out your light fixtures. New light fixtures can make a big difference. A modern chandelier or pendant light fixture can completely update the look of your bedroom, bathroom, or hallway. Ceiling lights are a great option for kitchens and dining rooms, and bathroom lighting fixtures can be selected to match the look of the sink, tub, and shower. For a modern touch, a happy hour neon sign could be a great addition to your bedroom or home bar.
- Think about replacing the windows. You can replace your windows with new models, which will be much more energy-efficient. A low-E coating will also reduce your heating and cooling costs. New windows will give your room a more modern look.
- Change up your bedding. For the least amount of money, you can make a major change in the look of your bedroom by simply swapping out the sheets, comforter, and bed skirt.
- Go from horizontal to vertical. If you want to get the most out of your bedroom, it’s time to get rid of the horizontal layout and embrace the vertical. This makes the most of your space since you can fit more furniture into your room, while it also gives your room a more modern and open feel.
- Buy some new artwork for the walls. Many people don’t realize that some of the best pieces of art they can put on their walls can be bought right off the canvases. If you have an artist friend, she might have some old art lying around that she’s willing to part with.
- Try out an area rug. Area rugs are not only great for adding color and personality to your room, but they are also a great way to bring the whole look together. If you want to revamp your bedroom on a budget, one of the best places to start is by buying an area rug.
- Get a new lamp. Garage sales can be a great way to find an affordable lamp that will fit perfectly with your decor. Also, you may be able to find slightly used lamps, which will also allow you to save money.
- Add a modern sofa or chaise lounge to the room. A sofa makes a great conversation piece as well as a place to relax after a hard day’s work. It can also bring more color and texture to the room, particularly if you choose a patterned fabric.
The truth is, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to make a big statement in your bedroom. In fact, you can create an entirely new look with a few inexpensive pieces and some creativity. Start by getting rid of the old and adding in the new. Every spring, dust off all of your old furniture and toss out whatever pieces you no longer use or love. If your furniture is still in good shape, but you just don’t love the style anymore, you can usually have it re-covered to give it a new look. Then replace items one at a time as you find them, and you’ll have a whole new bedroom in no time.